Insomnia is a condition characterized by problems falling asleep and/or staying asleep. Insomniac condition can be Acute(short term) or Chronic(long term). They can come too. Acute insomnia(short term) lasts 1 night for a few weeks. Insomnia is chronic(prolonged) when it occurs 3 nights a week for 3 months or more.
Types of insomnia:
The two main types of insomnia are:
■ Primary insomnia
■ Secondary insomnia
Causes of Insomnia:
Primary insomnia can be caused by:
- Stress refers to major life events such as job loss, death of a loved one, divorce and more.
- Changes to your sleep schedule could be the result of jet lag, a new shift at work or other sleep disorders that have accumulated bad habits
- Surrounding factors, such as noise, light, or air
- Your genes are too. Studies show that insomnia can run in families.
Secondary insomnia can be caused by:
- Anxiety and depression
- colds, allergies, hypertension and asthma. Pain or discomfort at night. hyperthyroidism and other endocrine disorders.
- Alzheimer’s disease
- PMS and menopause
- Use of caffeine, tobacco or alcohol and use of illegal drugs.
- There are other problems, such as sleep apnea or restless legs syndrome.
Symptoms of insomnia:
Symptoms of insomnia include:
- Hard to sleep at night
- Wake up at night
- Difficulty concentrating, concentrating on tasks or making decisions
- Errors or problems have increased
- Get up early in the morning
- Feeling restless at night after sleeping
- Tired or sleepy during the day
- Irritability, depression or anxiety
- Constant anxiety in bed
Treatment of Insomnia:
Sedative and Hypnotic drugs have their vital role in treatment of Insomnia. Ambien belongs to Sedative and Hypnotic drugs and it is used as prescription medicine for treatment of insomnia. It works by easing the brain’s processes to put you to sleep. The generic name of Ambien is Zolpidem. Zolpidem can be used alone or along with other medications.
Some names of Ambien Brands are as follows:
- Ambien (immediate-release tablet)
- Ambien CR (extended-release tablet)
- Adluar (sublingual tablet)
- Intermezzo (sublingual tablet)
- Zolpimist(Oral Spray)
- Ambien is essentially used to treat Insomnia.
Zolpidem is primarily used in the treatment of sleep related issues but has additional benefits of uses listed below. It is also used by people in various other situations such as:
- Reduces anxiety or stress
- For the treatment of anxiety-related insomnia
- To provide relief to the pain of a headache
- In the case of depression
Ativan: Proficient Anxiolytic To Treat Insomnia
Ativan is the member of a class of drugs called benzodiazepines. It promotes calming effects by stimulating the brain and nervous system (central nervous system). Ativan shows its action by enhancing the effects of a certain natural chemical in the body (GABA). It is one of the commonly prescribed drugs which is being used to treat anxiety, insomnia, status epilepticus(a type of seizure). The generic name for Ativan is lorazepam. Therefore, lorazepam is also used for patients before surgery to help them sleep.
Brand Names of Lorazepam:
Lorazepam Brand names are as follows:
- Lorazepam Intensol
Ambien Dosage for Insomnia:
Short-term treatment of sleep related disorders, the recommended dose is:
- For Men:
5 mg or 10 mg per day
- For Women:
5 mg per day
- Maximum Dosage for Ambien is 10 mg per day.
The patient should avoid taking Ambien in excess of 10 mg per day.
Take Ambien before bedtime. You should only take Ambien if you have time to get up at least 7 to 8 hours before.
Ambien CR Dosage:
Ambien CR Dosage for Insomnia:
For treatment of short or long-term treatment of sleep related issues recommended Dosage is:
- For Men:
6.25 mg or 12.5 mg per day
- For Women:
6.25 mg per day
- Maximum Dosage for Ambien CR is 12.5 mg per day.
Take Ambien CR before bedtime. You should only take Ambien CR if you have time to get up at least 7 to 8 hours before.
These are the drugs that are Contraindicated while using Ambien:
It either potentiates the effects of the other by pharmacological interaction. Concomitant use with alcohol or Sedative drugs is not recommended as they add CNS depression.
Interaction of medications can alter the functioning of the medication or cause adverse side effects. This article is not intended to be a complete list of all possible drug interactions. Tell your doctor about all the list of everything you use (including prescription or over-the-counter medications and herbs). Patients should not start, stop, or change medications without your doctor’s permission. The following drugs are listed based on serious to minor interactions with zolpidem:
- Green tea
Ambien Side Effects:
Zolpidem may cause side effects. If these symptoms persist or persist, tell your doctor:
- Drugged Feeling
- Stomach Pain
- Dry Mouth
- Eye Redness
- Joint Pain
- Muscle Aches
- Heavy Menstrual Bleeding
- Unusual Dreams
- Tingling of tongue
Some serious side effects include:
- Chest pain
- Pounding Heartbeat
- Light coloured stools
- Shortness of breath
- Yellow eyes or skin
- Blurred Vision
Patient should rigorously follow the instructions given on label. Some Ambien Precautions are given as below. Before taking Zolpidem You should:
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are allergic to Zolpidem or any Ingredient that Zolpidem contained.
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist about all those drugs( Prescription/Non-prescription or herbal supplements) you are taking to avoid their interactions and their side effects.
- Tell your doctor if you have ever had depression or depression related disorders or you have sleep related other problems or breathing difficulties or lung diseases or muscles , kidney or liver related disorders.
- Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are having surgery like dental surgery etc.
- Alcohol can cause serious adverse effects so you should avoid taking alcohol while having treatment with Ambien.
- Try to avoid Ambien during pregnancy as it can cause withdrawal symptoms in new-borns.
- The FDA does not recommend the use of Ambien while breastfeeding. Furthermore, the American Academy of Paediatrics recognizes the benefits of pacifiers, but recommends caution before using them.
Some of Ambien Warnings are as follows:
- Abnormal Sleep Behaviours
- Lowered Alertness and daytime Sleepiness
- Abnormal thoughts and depression
- Severe Allergic Reactions
- Liver Damage in patients already having liver problems
- Withdrawal Symptoms of Ambien
Ambien Pros and Cons:
- It works so fastly(almost within 15 to 30 minutes).
- Zolpidem is available as low-cost generic.
- It comes in tablet form and a spray version if you have trouble swallowing it.
- It can cause undesirable withdrawal symptoms.
- It is only used as short-term treatment of insomnia.
- Because of its Misuse, dependency and abuse, this is controlled substance.