Normally, the thyroid gland in the human body produces the hormone thyroid to meet the needs of the body’s energy and metabolism. In some conditions when the thyroid gland does not work properly and does not produce sufficient thyroid hormone on its own, the patient suffers due to low thyroid level and this condition is called hypothyroidism. Levothyroxine (generic name of this drug), is a prescription medicine for the treatment of goiter and hypothyroidism.
Synthroid is an FDA-approved drug and can be used to treat the deficiency of thyroid hormone in all ages of people i.e. from infants to adults.
Synthroid ingredients are levothyroxine sodium, USP, other excipients like Talc and a colorant, sunset yellow aluminium lake, are also present.
Symptoms of hypothyroidism:
- Slow Heartbeat
- Weight gain
- Dry skin
- Muscle cramps
- Being sensitive to cold
- Slow movements and thoughts
Some of synthroid uses include;
Synthroid is used to cure hypothyroidism:
In case of hypothyroidism, the thyroid hormone produced by the human body itself is not enough for the body’s energy and metabolism. That energy is important for the growth, digestion and all other responses of the body. This medicine works by adding the level of the hormone thyroid back to its normal range which is the demand of the body.
Hypothyroidism refers to as:
- Primary Hypothyroidism:
As it is the most common type of hypothyroidism and may be caused by Hashimoto’s disease(an autoimmune disorder). If the thyroid gland is treated with radiation or it is surgically removed(thyroid cancer), Primary Hypothyroidism may occur.
- Secondary Hypothyroidism:
Pituitary gland of the human body I’d responsible for telling the thyroid gland to produce sufficient thyroid hormone. And if that pituitary gland does not work duly (exposure to radiation, trauma as a result of head injury) thyroid hormone is not produced enough to meet the requirements f the body therefore secondary Hypothyroidism occurs.
- Tertiary Hypothyroidism:
In this case Hypothalamus is the victim because it tells the Pituitary gland to make more thyroid hormone. So if that hypothalamus is compromised due to any reason(radiation or surgery), Pituitary glands do not make more thyroid hormone which will affect the body’s metabolism.
Synthroid asTSH suppression in thyroid Cancer:
For the people suffering from thyroid cancer, synthroid is treatment therapy to suppress thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). In the condition of cancer therapy synthroid is specifies along with radioactive iodine treatment as well as surgery.
The medication should be taken as per the instructions provided by the doctor followed by all the guidelines which are given on the label of the medicine. The doses of synthroid are decided according to age, body weight, other medications and the type and severity of your condition. Before taking levothyroxine you must tell your previous medical history if you are having any other disease or disorder so that the drug-drug interaction does not occur. Your doctor will decide on the lowest dose of Levothyroxine which will show maximum effect. Synthroid works efficiently if it is taken on an empty stomach i.e. 30 to 60 mins before breakfast.
- For newly diagnosed hypothyroidism, the Synthroid Dosage is 1.6 micrograms of synthroid per kilogram of the body(taken once each day).
- For severe and long lasting hypothyroidism, Synthroid Dosage is 12.5 micrograms to 25 micrograms daily.
- For the suppression of TSH, synthroid Dosage is 2 mcg/kg(taken once each day).
- In pedes the Dosage of drug depends on both, the body weight and the age. The dose is adjusted according to body weight and age of the child.
For all the doses illustrated above, after 4 to 6 weeks of synthroid therapy, the doctor refers the patient to go for blood tests so that the effectiveness of the drug can be seen. The blood tests are also done to examine either the dose is sufficient or it is required to be increased.
Crestor, a Proficient statin that lowers cholesterol level:
Crestor belongs to one of the famous cholesterol lowering medications groups i.e. statins. This drug lowers the level of low density cholesterol,LDL “bad cholesterol” and fats and raises HDL in the blood.
A hypothyroid patient has an increased cholesterol level. Because of the direct effect of thyroid hormone on cholesterol, thyroid hormone increasing drugs also lower the cholesterol level in blood.
There are different ranges between Crestor Dosage i.e.
- In adults, Crestor Dosage is 5 to 40 mg(once each day)
- In Pedes 8 or less than 10 years old patients, Crestor Dosage is 5 to 10 mg (orally once each day) while patients with age 10 to 17 years will take Crestor Dosage 5 to 20 mg(orally once each day).
There are many drugs to which synthroid contraindications are shown and that interactions affect the efficacy of synthroid. These interactions may result in the occurrence of different side effects. So to avoid Synthroid Contrainications, the patient should tell the doctor all about his previous medical history.
Certain diabetic medicines like metformin(glucophage), Insulin(lantus) e.t.c, Some heartburn medicines like omeprazole, esomeprazole e.t.c, The medicines used to treat digestive problems like sucralfate, Some antidepressants like escitalopram (lexapro), Certain cholesterol lowering medicines like colestipol(colestid)
Phenobarbital(anti seizures) , rifampin(antibiotic), sevelamer( affects electrolyte balance) these all lower the level of synthroid in the body if these are taken with synthroid.
- Different minerals like calcium, magnesium, and iron may also affect the efficacy of synthroid.
- Coffee, grapefruit and grapefruit juice, soybeans and soybean flour, walnuts, dietary fiber, these all affect the absorption of synthroid in the stomach by lowering its level.
Synthroid Side Effects:
Synthroid side effects include;
- Weight loss
- Hair loss
- Intolerance to heat
- Digestive problem
- Nausea, Vomiting, Diarrhea
- Muscle weakness, spasms
- Excessive sweating
Precautions you should take while having synthroid:
- Like all other drugs this drug also has some preventive measures that one should rigorously follow.
- The FDA approved this drug with a boxed warning of having dangerous effects. It should not be used to treat obesity or weight loss. If this drug is taken along with the drugs which are used for the treatment of obesity and Weight loss the resulting effects will be very dangerous even life threatening. So this drug is not effective against weight loss.
- If a person is having atrial fibrillation, the use of synthroid must be avoided as it increases the heart rate and irregular Heartbeat patterns may occur.
- Synthroid shouldn’t be used to treat myxedema coma(severe hypothyroidism) because it is an emergency situation so one should go to hospital.
- The drug synthroid may cause an increase in sugar level in the blood so it should not be taken in case of diabetes.
- Synthroid with anticoagulants may lead to internal bleeding so its use is avoided with anticoagulants.
- In case of pregnancy and breastfeeding, synthroid can be used.
Pros and Cons of Levothyroxine(Synthroid):
- The use of synthroid is safe for all ages.
- It has the best efficacy to overcome the low thyroid hormone level in body.
- It’s liquid solution is also available for those who can’t swallow the tablet form.
- It can be taken once each day.
- Food-Drug and Drug-Drug interactions should be carefully monitored.
- It requires 6 to 8 weeks to show full effectiveness.
To make sure about the right Dosage of drug you will need routine wise blood tests.